Do you wake up feeling tired and go through the day half awake, mentally foggy and lacking energy unless you have that cup of coffee or tea to put a1 spring in your step? There are lots of reasons why that might be happening like…
- Your adrenal glands may be tired from all the stress in your life (your adrenal glands make cortisol which is the hormone that gives you energy),
- Your thyroid function may be low (your thyroid gland function is connected to your adrenal gland function – did you think “stress” – you’re probably right),
- Your testosterone levels may be low (whether you’re a man or a woman this can happen – did somebody in the audience say “stress”),
- You may not be absorbing the nutrients from your food even if you’re eating a healthy diet (did you know stress makes your digestive system shut down?),
- You may not be eating the right kinds of foods that contain things like B vitamins which help us create energy in our cells (are you the kind of person that reaches for sweets or salty foods when you’re stressed?)
- You may not be sleeping well (have you had nights when you can’t stop thinking about everything you need to do and it’s just stressing you out?)
- You may be taking medications that deplete your nutrient levels (it’s stressful knowing that, right?)
…and this list just scratches the surface!
Here are some quick and easy tips to take care of yourself at home today.
- Set a timer to get to bed at a certain. Give yourself at least 30 to 60 minutes to close up shop for the day. Shut off the tv, computer, all electronic devices, write down whatever you’ve been thinking about that needs to be done tomorrow, clear your mind and start to unwind.
- Take a warm bath or shower. It helps to relax you from the activities of your day.
- Use essential oils like lavender in your bath or on your temples to slow down your mind and body and prepare you for a good night’s sleep.
- In the morning, have breakfast with a balance of protein, fats and carbohydrates to feed your body.
- Take a high- quality multivitamin with breakfast to supercharge your body with nutrients.
- Go for a walk when energy levels start to dip. Moving your body circulates your blood and provides oxygen to all your cells giving you more energy.
- Spend time with friends that make you laugh or read something funny. Laughter boosts your immune system and circulates more blood into your abdominal cavity feeding all your internal organs.
For more ideas or if you have questions about any of these tips, call me 503-314-9858 or email DrJudithND@gmail.com